The Chicago Hotel Collection Magnificent Mile is a four-star boutique hotel that offers 216 rooms, including 82 deluxe suites, in a prime location near the famous Michigan Avenue. The hotel boasts a mix of modern and bohemian-chic decor, a rooftop bar and restaurant, a 24-hour gym and business center, and pet-friendly amenities. But how does it fare regarding customer satisfaction, cleanliness, service, and value? Here are some of the pros and cons of staying at this hotel based on the reviews of previous guests.
Chicago Hotel Collection Pros and Cons
- Location: The hotel is in the heart of the Windy City, within walking distance from downtown landmarks like Millennium Park, Navy Pier, Water Tower Place, and the Magnificent Mile shopping district.
- Cleanliness: The hotel rooms are spacious, cozy, and clean, with nearly floor-to-ceiling windows, crisp colors and decor, and plush beds and linens. The bathrooms are also well-maintained and equipped with detachable shower heads and luxury bath products.
- Staff & Service: The hotel staff are friendly, helpful, and accommodating. They offer a smooth check-in and check-out process, as well as luggage and bicycle storage at no additional charge. They also attend to guests’ requests and needs promptly and professionally.
- Amenities: The hotel’s amenities are limited and outdated. The 24-hour gym is small and needs more variety in equipment. The coffee lounge and bar are closed due to COVID-19 restrictions. The Wi-Fi is free but slow and unreliable. The valet parking is expensive at $71 per day.
- Value: The hotel’s value for money needs to be more questionable. The room rates are affordable compared to other hotels in the area but do not include breakfast or other perks. The hotel also charges extra pet fees, early check-in, late check-out, and cancellation.
Magnificent Mile shopping district
The Magnificent Mile shopping district is one of the most iconic shopping areas in the world. It is located on Michigan Avenue, between the Chicago River and Oak Street, in the Near North Side of Chicago. It offers a variety of shopping options, from upscale boutiques and luxury brands to department stores and specialty shops. Here are some of the highlights of the Magnificent Mile shopping district:
- The Magnificent Mile has three vertical shopping malls: 900 North Michigan Shops, Water Tower Place, and The Shops at North Bridge.
- The Magnificent Mile has many high-end brands and luxury labels, such as Burberry, Tiffany & Co., Ikram, Bulgari, Coach, Cartier, Giorgio Armani, David Yurman, La Perla, Harry Winston, and more.
- The Magnificent Mile is a shopping destination and a cultural and historical attraction. Along the way, you can admire the architecture of the historic Water Tower, the Tribune Tower, the Wrigley Building, and the John Hancock Center.
- The Magnificent Mile is also a great place to enjoy dining and entertainment. You can find more than 275 restaurants, from casual cafes and fast food to fine dining and ethnic cuisine.
- The Magnificent Mile shopping district is a must-see for anyone visiting Chicago. It offers a unique and memorable experience for shoppers of all tastes and budgets
How to get to Magnificent Mile from O’Hare airport
There are several ways to get from O’Hare Airport to Magnificent Mile:
- Subway: Take the Chicago Transit (CTA) subway from O’Hare to Clark/Lake, then transfer to another subway line to reach Magnificent Mile. This is the cheapest option, but it may take about 40 minutes
- Bus: Take a bus from O’Hare to Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile. This may take about 1 hour and 30 minutes, and it costs $40
- Taxi: Take a taxi from O’Hare to Magnificent Mile. This is the fastest option, but it may cost $55 – $70. It may take about 21 minutes, depending on traffic
- Car: Drive from O’Hare to Magnificent Mile. This may also take about 21 minutes, but you must pay for parking and gas. The distance is about 18 miles
- Shuttle: Take a shuttle bus from O’Hare to Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile Suites. This may cost $70 and take about 21 minutes
- Towncar: Take a car from O’Hare to Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile Suites. This may cost $100 – $140 and take about 21 minutes
Parking cost in Magnificent Mile
The cost of parking in Magnificent Mile depends on the type and location of the parking spot.
- Garages: There are plenty of garages near the Mag Mile. Expect to pay $20 to $40 for a full-day visit. You can get parking for less at an area park-it-yourself garage ($38/24 hr)
- Street parking: Street parking in the area is $6.50/hour with a 2-hour max. You can find free Magnificent Mile parking on Ontario Street, Huron Street, and Chicago Avenue. However, free spots are few and far between
- Taxi or Uber: If taking a taxi or Uber, use The Drake Hotel as your destination to start at the north end or Tribune Tower to start at the south end. This may cost you $55 – $70 from O’Hare Airport.
- Car: If you drive your car, you must pay for gas and parking. The distance from O’Hare Airport to Magnificent Mile is about 18 miles. The valet parking at some hotels may cost up to $71 per day.
- Shuttle or Towncar: If taking a shuttle or town car, you may pay $70 – $140 from O’Hare Airport to Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile Suites
The magnificent mile is a decent option for travelers seeking a convenient, comfortable, and stylish stay in Chicago. The hotel offers a great location, clean rooms, and friendly staff. However, it has some drawbacks, such as limited amenities, outdated facilities, and questionable value. Therefore, guests should weigh the pros and cons before booking their stay at this hotel.